Alfred was a private first class in Company E of the 101st Engineers, (army serial No. 185253). He was born on Mar.30th.1892. His company was attached to the 26th Division and when the Allied counter-offensive started along the Marne, the Division acted as pivot. The Engineers Company acted as infantry when the drive started on July 18th 1918 and were located in Bois de la Brigade de Marines (Bois de Belleau). Alfred was killed by enemy shell fire on that day in the drive of Chateau Thierry. He was hit in the face and died instantly. He was buried temporarily in a field to the west of the Bois de Belleau.
He was reburied on October 2nd 1918 in Cemetery 712, Grave 29, American Battle Area Cemetery, Commune of Lucy-le-Bocage, Aisne, France.
After the war , he was transferred to the National Cemetery at Belleau Woods, Aisne, Plot 1, Section M, Grave 37 on June 4th 1919.
On July 19th 1920, Senator P.F.Tague (a personal friend of Alfred's father George William Goodearl) wrote to the Secretary of War requesting the repatriation of the body but was informed that nothing could be done before September 15th 1920.
The formal application for repatriation was made in April 1921 when George and Jennie were living at 155 Leyden St. Boston. On the form, the address of Alfred's brothers were given as: John Arthur, Allston; George Henry, 48 Winthrop (St.?); Edward Ross, 278 Winthrop.
The undertaker (mortician?) was W.H.Graham Corp. of 1770 Washington Street. Soon after this, George and Jennie moved to 35 Breed Street.
The body was disinterred on June 28th 1921 and shipped from Antwerp on August 6th 1921 on USAT 'Wheaton' to Hoboken NJ.
Together with 25 others, Alfred's body was carried to Boston on the New York, Newhaven and Hartford Railway train leaving New York City at 0115 hours on September 2nd 1921 with Corporal P.J.Canavan of the 28th Infantry as Escort.
Clifford (Army No.C/1418) served with the 16th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps. He died on 11th November 1917 and is commemorated in La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery,Belgium, Plot III Row C Grave 23 Age 21.
La Plus Douve Cemetery is located 10.5 Km.south of Ieper (Ypres) town centre on a road leading from the Rijselseweg N 365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselseweg runs from the market square,through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road.
The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. On reaching the town of Mesen the first right hand turning leads onto the Niewkerkestraat (N314). 2 Km. along the Niewkerkestraat lies the left hand turning onto Plus Douve. The cemetery lies 600 metres along Plus Douve, past the annexe cemetery on the right, then either drive (if possible) or walk through a farmyard onto a gravel drive. The cemetery is then on the right at the edge of a track.
Plus Douve Cemetery
C. J. GOODEARL,
Kings Royal Rifle Corps,
11th November 1917 Age 21
"He gave his life
that we might live"
Rupert (Army No.434795) served as a corporal with the 50th Battalion Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regiment). He died on 24th October 1917 and is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial in Ypres in Belgium, Panel 24-28-30.
Ypres (now Ieper) is a town in the province of West Flanders. The Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town on the road to Menin and Courtrai, and bears the names of men who were lost without trace during the defence of the Ypres Salient in the First World War.
Rupert Victor Goodearl
Memorial at the Menim Gate Cemetery